An oasis of citrus and palm trees, Thunderbird is located in the middle of Scottsdale Arizona. Originally named the Arizona Academy and founded in 1920, the school changed its name and moved to its present location after buying Thunderbird Field II, a World War II pilot training facility. In the intervening years the campus has changed, buildings and classrooms have been replaced, and the city of Scottsdale has grown up around Thunderbird. But in our small corner of verdant tranquility we hold true to our founding aim of developing the Spiritual, Mental, and Physical faculties of our students.
Our goal is for each of our students to EXCEL. To Experience Jesus, to Communicate clearly and think critically, to Embrace service and citizenship, and to Live healthfully in body and mind. We promote the development of habits that will last a lifetime as we help students to grow spiritually, achieve academic excellence, mature socially, and live healthfully.
- 89% of the class of 2016-2017 was accepted into a four-year college.
- The 30 members of the 2016-2017 graduating class were awarded roughly $2.5 million in scholarships.
- For 2017-2018 Thunderbird has added two additional dual credit classes, allowing students to get an even bigger jump-start on their college careers.
- 100% of our 2016-2017 CNA students passed the Arizona State Certified Nursing Assistant board examination.
- Over 25% of our students were members of the National Honor Society in 2016-2017.
- Over half of our instructors have one or more post-graduate degrees.